Please excuse the treatise, but there are a few things I wish to comment on!

The TEACH Act (17 USC Section 110(2)) and fair use (17 USC Section 107) are two
different statutes. Keep them separate! If you're going to apply fair use to a
situation then work through the four factors found in Section 107. If you
decide to consider the TEACH Act then work point-by-point through the
requirements found in Section 110(2). Don’t try applying a court ruling on fair
use to the application of the TEACH Act, and know that the compliance
requirements of the TEACH Act have no bearing on fair use.

Know all your options! Kevin Smith and Lisa Macklin have developed a wonderful
“Framework for Analyzing any U.S. Copyright Problem” that librarians can use to
work through copyright issues:
http://lib.calpoly.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/copyright_five_questions.pdf.
Read it through and see if it can help you in making a decision with this
particular situation.

If you decide to utilize the TEACH Act…

Types of Works

Chris and Peter are right. The TEACH Act in no way precludes the use of feature
films or fictional works. If you read Section 110(2) you'll see that mentions
"non-dramatic literary or musical works" and "any other works." It doesn’t get
any more specific than that.

Amount You Can Use
If you’re using "non-dramatic literary or musical works" Section 110(2) states
that you may make a “performance” of it. Most copyright experts say this means
you can share the whole thing with students. For everything that falls into the
“any other works” category, Section 110(2) states that you can use “reasonable
and limited portions” of it. Unfortunately the U.S. Copyright Act does not
provide us with a definition of what a “reasonable and limited” portion of a
work is, and as no case law has been settled on this issue (at least that I am
aware of, if I’m wrong on this please let me know!) it is left to each user to
make the most thoughtful decision they can when applying the TEACH Act.

Watch Those Words!
Performances and displays are two different things! Section 101 of the US
Copyright Act provides definitions for both of these terms. In regards to the
TEACH Act, Section 110(2) states that instructors may make a "display" of a
work in "an amount comparable to that which is typically displayed in the
course of a live classroom session." According to Section 101 a "display" can
include showing a “television image” or, “in the case of a motion picture or
other audiovisual work” nonsequential images (e.g., frames/stills). Performing
an audiovisual or motion picture work usually involves hitting “play” on a
device and watching the images move in sequence. Make sure you select the
correct category for your situation! For example, say I'm teaching an online
art history class. For my lesson on Frida Kahlo I want to show students images
of Frida's most famous paintings and have them watch the movie Frida (2002).
Under the TEACH Act I could share with my online students the same number of
images that I normally show to students when I'm teaching the class in a
face-to-face setting. For the movie, under the TEACH Act I could share
"reasonable and limited" portions of it.

Best,
Carla

Assistant Professor
Faculty Director of Access Services and Scholarly Communications
Kraemer Family Library
The University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
719-255-3908<tel:719-255-3908>