From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Meghann Matwichuk
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2016 10:52 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] supplemental materials

I think that depends on what you see as being the purpose of your collection.
I absolutely see an archival component to collections such as the one I serve
at my academic institution.  It serves a very different purpose from a public
library, or even other types of educational collections.  It's not at all
uncommon for materials that may have very low circ rates over time to
experience a boom in interest when current events steer the academy in that
direction (thinking of older films on Afghani tribes that became much-studied
post-9/11).
There are immediate access needs and access-over-time needs that can't be
predicted; I see striking a balance between those two as the biggest challenge
facing our corner of the profession.

--

Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
Associate Librarian