Friday

I believe the data collected in Jane Hutchison Surdi and my 2015 national
survey (Academic Library Streaming Video Revisited) presents the most
comprehensive picture of practices across all institution sizes and types.
This was a follow-up to our similar 2013 survey.

Because attachments do not work in discussion lists I am sending you separately
screen shots of our 2016 ALA Annual Conference presentation of our data.  But
will summarize it here.

Question:  What is your Library’s primary funding source for streaming video
(Comparison of 2013 and 2015 data, first )

Aggregated across all responses of libraries that stream video, N=210 responses
Response options with no responses eliminated

                                                2015 response / 2013 response

The library does not fund streaming video       1.1%    /
From a general acquisitions fund                41.5%   /
Separate video acquisitions fund                18.0%   /       49%
Separate streaming video acquisitions fund      8.2%    /       13.8%
Electronic resources fund                       19.7%   /       7.1%
Distance Learning budget                        1.1%    /
End of Year funds                               0.5%    /
Technology fee                                  2.2%    /
Other                                           7.7%    /       14.3%

These figures suggest that streaming video acquisitions funding is normalizing,
less funding from separate video lines, more integration of funding within
general acquisitions or electronic resources funds

Filtering 2015 results by 2 year, Associate degree granting institutions on the
same question, N=24 response  (2013 data not included)

From a general acquisitions fund                        25.0%
Separate video acquisitions fund                        16.7%
Separate streaming video acquisitions fund      4.2%
Electronic resources fund                               41.7%
Other                                                   12.5%

We also asked if institutional streaming video funding came from outside the
Library.  Those responses from 2015 data

Aggregated, N=181 responses

Yes, Instead of Library funding                 3.3%    (N=6)
Yes, In addition to Library funding             18.8 %  (N=34)
No                                              77.9%   (N=141)

Same question, limited to Associate degree granting institutions

Aggregated, N=24 responses

Yes, Instead of Library funding                 4.2%  (N=1)
Yes, In addition to Library funding                     37.5% (N=9)
No                                                      58.3%   (N=14)

So Associate degree institutions are more likely to receive streaming funding
from outside the library….

Hope you find this information useful

-deg farrelly

Arizona State University Libraries