Hi all,

I've made a fair amount of headway getting a binary package built for
PyViennaCL on Ubuntu (and thus Debian). If anyone is using an i386
system (not amd64 yet!) on Ubuntu trusty (14.04), they can test it out,
using the PPA at [1].

But herein lies the problem. I've used the build tools available on the
most recent versions of Debian and Ubuntu, which turn out to be
incompatible with the most common versions of Debian and Ubuntu (ie,
Ubuntu 12.04 to 13.04 inclusive), because of changes in the Python 3
packaging. So I have a number of options:

1. (easiest) not make a binary package for Ubuntu / Debian versions
   older than Ubuntu 13.10;
2. (easy) not target Python 3 on versions older than 13.10;
3. (harder) write custom packaging for those older versions.

I'm leaning towards option (2), since then PyViennaCL would be mostly
available, and since Python 2 still seems more popular than Python 3
anyway.

The only other remaining hurdle (for binary packages on Ubuntu and
Debian) is the fact that the Ubuntu amd64 build daemons seem unable to
cope with the memory requirements of my sources as they are at the
moment -- on i386, because of the smaller address space, this seems not
to be a problem.

I had planned anyway to split up the sources for my next release so that
they were less burdensome on memory, but I suspect I'll have to do this
sooner than then -- unless I hear otherwise from one of the archive
administrators.

Best,

Toby