Hi Toby,

 >> alright, some progress here: Installed Python, the Windows SDK, and
>> NumPy as described. Then things got complicated:
>>    - Had to install setuptools. This should be mentioned in the README.
>>    - python and git need to be in PATH for `python setup.py build` to
>> work. This is a nontrivial step, since both python and git by default
>> are not in PATH.
>
> Right -- so I've assumed that you have a working python and git
> installation; it seemed fair to assume that, if you want to install from
> source and want to be using Python, you'd have both set up.

I don't think we should assume that something is setup in whichever way,
but instead clearly outline how users can bring their machine into a
usable state. Now, considering that both Python and Git by default do
*not* put their installation folders into path, we should at least
mention that they might have to use the full path.

> Also, I
> don't think I should be providing installation guides for components
> other than PyViennaCL! In particular, people's installations of Windows
> software vary widely, and so general instructions will either be complex
> or vague.

Of course not. The installation of other packages is not our business
(which, on the other hand, is a reason not to have too many required
dependencies), but we need to be explicit about how we expect these
packages to be set up. If we provide installation guidelines assuming
that 'python' and 'git' are in PATH, we need to document this somehow
(even if it's just a single sentence) :-)

> Ultimately, either the user should install a prebuilt binary, or will
> use `pip install pyviennacl`; any other case suggests more advanced
> usage.
>
> pip comes with setuptools, so that dependency is automatically satisfied
> there; but I will mention it for completeness!

Sure, once these easier methods are in place, they will be the default.
For the time being, let's make sure as many users as possible can also
manage this more involved procedure. :-)

>>    - Currently I'm stuck with an error at `python setup.py build`. I
>> copied that over to GitHub, as I don't write emails from the Windows
>> machine:
>> https://github.com/viennacl/pyviennacl-dev/issues/2#issuecomment-36299966
>
> Responded there.

Short reply here: Compilation now succeeds :-) The many compilation
warnings are a pain, though. Is there anything we can do to reduce them?
Or are they all from Boost.NumPy?

Also, --no-use-opencl doesn't seem to work yet, I get an error
(unrecognized option).

>>> I've also heard that building is successful on Mac OS X, with both clang
>>> and Intel compilers. But apparently running the blas3_prod.py test
>>> caused artefacts on and freezing of the user's screen.. but I suspect
>>> that's a problem with their OpenCL implementation not PyViennaCL!
>>
>> Our test machine running Mac OS X 10.6 has a pretty buggy OpenCL SDK, so
>> it may be the same thing there. On the other hand, it's better to
>> produce slow code rather than crashing a user's machine. Do you happen
>> to know which version of Mac OS this was?
>
> Hmm, no. But I shall find out. If you get a chance to test on your
> OS X machine, the results would be interesting to know.

I'll try it on the OS X machine tomorrow.

> But I
> appreciate that you probably don't want to spend all your time testing
> PyViennaCL! :-)

There are certainly things which are more fun than testing, but since
this is something every prospective user needs to go through, this needs
to be taken seriously.

Best regards,
Karli