Hi,

 >     Is DGEMM your performance-critical operation? Are there any other
>     performance-critical operations?
>

> For now we are only looking at (especially sparse) blas3 and
> decompositions. Basically, your normal R base functionality for
> in-memory sparse algebra.

Sparse factorizations (LU, QR, etc.) are very hard to parallelize for
many-core architectures (GPUs in particular).

> One more question i had:
>
> do you guys handle low resource cases? like transfer optimization for
> blockwise multiplication in case operands do not fit -- out-of-core
> algorithms?

out-of-core has gone out-of-fashion. The reason is that the differences
in memory speed has become so large that falling back to a slower memory
type almost never pays off.

> Did you look at gpu+cpu combined balanced algorithms (as i guess MAGMA
> did for some)?

yes, a couple of algorithms in ViennaCL use GPUs for the main work (i.e.
GEMM) and CPUs for sequential in the algorithm.

Best regards,
Karli