> >From reading the Wikipedia page linked below it seems very simple to
> implement. But if it should be fast, then a library is of course much
> better than a home-grown Python version.

It's also about security. I would like an implementation that deals,
at least, with the most common side-channel attacks.
Other issues are which curve do you use, which kind of point representation, ...

> Yes, one can do that. But then people would need to install the
> library on their machine to use VIFF. If the library provided binaries
> for Windows then it's no problem, but for a smaller library there
> might not be much Windows support.

So Micheal used mostly pairing-friendly curves, that is really what we
don't want here. Anyway, he suggested to have a look at the MIRACL
library. The problem with this one is that is not open source, it's
free just if you use it for fun...