Sebastián Núñez also favors the baroque guitar as the
more probable dad.  at this point however, i'd be
pleased if someone on the list would acknowledge the
link between the charango and any one of its possible
progenitors.  once that gets established it's
relatively easy, i think, to quash the notion of it
being somehow different than its earlier relation
simply by asking what modifications were made to
warrant the name change.  after all, a pedal steel
guitar looks nothing like the original but it's still
called a guitar.

it seems to me that one of the major pit falls of
reenactment in musical terms is the totally artificial
classification that gets cast back over past events
from our modern perspective.  what was being played in
the country during the baroque period was probably not
much different than what had been played during
medieval times.  these critters with their ukuleles as
you say represent a continuous process in music, not a
fixed period.

as for historically informed performance, i believe i
would be more accurate in that regard if i call my
instrument a vihuela - that's what they would have
called it.

don't you ever sleep or are you an early riser as
well?

kind regards - bill

http://www.rolandogoldman.com.ar/html/history-righ.htm

http://home.enter.vg/maiorg/Charanguito-18/Index.html