Martyn,

I asked myself this question many times and I don't know if anybody has
conducted a systematic research in this area. From my own experience, I came
across clearly original T-shape frets exclusively on French guitars from the
early 1820s of which at least two makers are worth of mentioning: Lacote and
Mauchant (et freres). The first was one of the most innovative French guitar
makers, the second is from the ancient "cooking pot" of French stringed
instrument manufacture. I would still probably give priority to Lacote (or
Etienne La Prevotte for that matter) but it's hard to be 100% certain
because most of the early 19th century guitars were re-fretted later in the
century or indeed in the 20th century with somewhat larger size T-frets.

What is also interesting is that there seems to exist some sort of
intermediate (to bar- and / or T-shape) frets which are of wedge-shape in
cross-section. I saw these on some of what I would call "Stauffer" style
guitars (made by Stauffer himself, his firm or the makers under his
influence) which again can be dated from 1820s - 1830s. So the whole matter
doesn't seem to be, as you say, straightforward ...

As for your:

> Clearly it would be most unlikely for a guitar which had been refretted
with T section to be later fretted with plain strips (I mean in the
19th/early 20thC), ...

Do you have any particular instrument in mind? In general, it is not at all
impossible. I was recently refretting a late 19th century Martin guitar with
bar-frets because it had unoriginal T-shape frets! ...

Alexander