I suppose this has been noted many times before but I’ve been looking again at
the music for the Baroque guitar and this time struck by the number of pieces
in flat keys: F major, Bb major, G minor and C minor.

Pieces in these keys aren’t isolated individual numbers but whole suites,
passacales or variation sets sitting alongside their equivalents in more
familiar guitar keys.

There’s nothing like this in 19th century guitar music. There are only very
occasional pieces in these keys.

Why is this?

The addition of the sixth string in yet another flat-unfriendly pitch of E
(natural)?

Maybe – but playing a five-course guitar in F and Bb is quite hard going and
the addition of a sixth course doesn’t significantly add to the difficulty.

My guess is this: the alfabeto system (especially with movable chords)
naturally leads to playing in a variety of keys. It’s easy to play a simple
chord sequence transposed to different pitches. Then the development of mixed
tab: strummed chords and punteado naturally evolved out of this (becoming ever
more sophisticated).

When alfbeto  (and tablature) became outmoded, flat keys seemed more outlandish
and the more familiar guitar keys became the norm.