Thank you fr ths Lex,

I take yr points and, in particular, that Sanz was only recording his
recollection of Roman practice. Nevertheless, does it not represent a
compelling piece of contemporary (allbeit reported some 20 yrs after his visit)
evidence for re-entrant stringing rather than octave low basses?   As I said
earlier, I'm almost persuaded to yr view but mostly on internal evidence eg
Corebetta 1648.

The fundemental problem, it seems to me, is that because of the peculiarity of
the instrument, either solution sounds reasonably acceptable.

Incidentally, I presume that with low basses  the lower string of the octave
pair would be struck first by the thumb....................

Martyn

Lex Eisenhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just for clarification: when recommending the re-entrant tuning doesn't
Sanz (1674) remark that earlier guitarists (esp in Italy) used it?
Presumably this from his earlier time in Rome where he met Colista,
Corbetta, Granata and thus, one supposes, based his observation on a direct
recollection of the practice at that time. How does his observation fit with
your view of use of low basses pre-1671?

I don't think we can say that he met Corbetta or Granata in Rome. Sanz
thought very high of Corbetta and he may even have heared him somewhere.
(Interesting thought) I think both the re-entrant tuning and the tuning with
bourdons were in use in Italy. The re-entrant tuning was used by certain
Maestros: '...en Roma aquellos Maestros solo encordan la guitarra con
cuerdas delgadas, sin poner ningun bordon, ni en quarta , ni en quinta.'
It's a pity that Sanz didn't tell anything about the rest of Italy. Sanz'
book is published long after people like Bartolotti and Corbetta had left
for France (and Britain). We should bear in mind that much of the guitar
world in Italy was really amateuristic at the time. One of the Maestros he
met was Lelio Colista. The few pieces that we have of him are not at all of
the standard of the music of Foscarini, Bartolotti or Corbetta. I would not
speak of just one practice, we are looking at almost a century of Italian
guitar music, composed and played in a large country, devided in different
states.
L.