> thank you monica -
>
> so there's no way telling if the south american
> rasgueado is european or new world in origin, correct?

I don't think so.

> i understand from an on-line guitar magazine that juan
> amat published a treatise in 1596 ("spanish guitar of
> five courses") that covered rasgueado in some detail
> but i've not been able to track down an on-line
> translation.  are you familiar with this source and if
> so, is it as unclear about how the (each) strum works
> as the others you allude to?

There isn't an online translation at the moment.  My translation was on the
Lute Society's web site for a while but isn't any more.  I can send it to
you personally as an attachment if you like.

However it doesn't include any information about right hand technique - that
is - how to strum.  It only explains the lefthand fingering of the 12 major
and minor chords and how to use them to accompany.