ON October 23, 2005 3:50 PM "bill kilpatrick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> connection between a fluted, bowl-backed instrument
> and the fluted vihuela only makes sense if it's an
> aesthetic or sound improving feature that continued
> from an earlier time when instruments were carved from
> single pieces of wood - like the citole or charango.

I wouldn't even dare to establish such connection. Would you? Can't think of
any "sound improving feature" in the form of "fluting" that could have been
directly inherited from a single-piece-carved-thing. The very idea of
adaptation of the built-up construction of the body resulted in a huge step
forward that allowed to change / fine-tuning the acoustical properties of
the instrument's body in a much more sophisticated way (be it a vaulted-,
fluted- or flat-back vihuela, viola da mano, bowed viol etc). In this light,
the fluted (by means of bending, not scraping!) back of the Dias allows the
achievement of a fairly rigid structure with minimum possible weight and
bulk of material - a combination of properties hardly achievable with the
hollowed-out type of body construction. And hence its impact on the
acoustics.

> let's talk about how many of my sun ripened, 100% pure
> virgin, genuine, high quality, tuscan olives you would
> like in exchange for one of the tatty vihuelas you
> have cluttering up your studio and creating such a
> nuisance ...

I don't quite understand how the idea of sponsoring the experiment grew into
exchange for the tatty vihuela ...

> hmmmmm?

Actually vihuelas never look tatty to me ... even if they are sun-ripened
..

Alexander
www.vihuelademano.com