There are a few interesting things in this carved panel from the V&A,
including what looks like a sort of 'viola da mano'. The panel dated c.1580
but the original source (whether it was a painting or engraving) can date
c.1530 - 50 or so. I wouldn't dare to paste the direct link here (it's one
of the longest ones I've ever come across!) but it should work by typing
'lute' in the search box here:
http://images.vam.ac.uk/ixbin/hixclient.exe?_IXSESSION_=&submit-
button=search&search-form=main/index.html

Then click on the thumb nail image in the bottom right corner; that'll
take to a page with more detailed views ('viola da mano' is more or less in
the centre of the panel).

Alexander