Eloy Cruz wrote:

> Doc Rossi is right, the catalog entry he copies is for an instrument with
> Museum No.: 224-1882, but the note next to the instrument calls it a cittern
> and has the Spanish virtuosi story. I saw the instrument in december 2002. I
> think I remember that Monica went to the museum and asked the curator about
> the instrument, but I don't remember if she actually did it...

Very interesting.

I was at the V&A a couple of weeks ago and I put up a web page of the
instrument and the note that accompanies it here:

http://www.tuningsinthirds.com/Spanishcittern/

I'm just about to borrow a copy of the V&A catalogue for 1968 from my
local library.  I forgot to note the instrument number as it is now (two
weeks ago) but I think I've got the correct instrument and the
accompanying note... including what you call 'the Spanish virtuoso story.'

Do I detect a large dose of scepticism here? I'm both amused and a bit
shocked. It's one thing (and understandable) for a museum to get some
point of detail wrong but to offer a 'cock and bull' story (a complete
fantasy) is of quite another order!

Stuart