the information you provide for the octave stringing
on the 3rd course is particularly interesting to me -
also because of it's relation to the violin.

i assume the violin would have been prevelant in
ensemble play at that time and therefore something of
a (pre-standard) touch-stone for everyone tuning up.

i also assume that a bourdon in the treble range would
be better suited to something small and strummy - as
opposed to something larger, to be plucked with the
fingers.

would a bourdon on one course offer advantages over
those on another course? ... or is it simply a matter
of personal choice, relating to size of instrument,
repertoire and tuning?

- bill