I can't agree with this Monica: that all that distinguished the two forms was
the harmonic formula.  As outlined in my earlier response, it is primarily the
placing of the accent and number of beats in a bar (especially in the earlier,
original, form) - as also mentioned, this soon became corrupted so that even
contemporaries often had difficulty in distinguishing...... plus ca
change..........

  Martyn

Monica Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I am still not exactly sure which ones you are referring to without the
folio numbers. There is a Passacaille in A minor called Bonne (which I
think just means good in the context), on f. 27v. It is possible that this
is by Bartolotti. It looks sort of Italian. The passacaille on f. 27 and
the allemandes on f. 26 and f.28 are both by Bartolotti. 4 of the other A
minor pieces are from Corbetta's 1648 book.

I can't find the chaconne in G (1679).

If all you are worried about is the speed at which they should be played I
don't think there any hard and fast rules. It depends a lot on the texture
and also the competence of the player.

What originally distinguished the two forms was the harmonic formula on
which they are based and the context in which they were used when dancing.

Early guitar books include examples of the Passacaille in all the different
keys - partly so that the player could learn the chords and partly so that
they can be matched up with the keys of the appropriate dances.

Following on from this the guitar books of Bartolotti and Corbetta also
include sequences of Passacailles in all the different keys. I would
consider these to be more in the nature of studies so that you can gain
practice in playing in different keys. The speed at which you play them
would be whatever you were comfortable with. Sources in general never give
tempo indications.

The problem with Gallot is identifying the sources. But also the pieces
are often inaccurate and very sketchy. It was copied for him for his own
use and he wouldn't just have played the pieces note for note as they are
written. It is manuscript, not a finished product intended for consumption
by the public at large.

Monica