Peter,

  Many thanks for this - look forward to seeing it.

  May I though comment on one thing: when many lutenists say my lute's fretted
in 'meantone' they often really only think of the first course and seem
blissfully unaware that the chromatic/diatonic semitone sequence is different
on most of the highest 5 courses. My knowledge of the cittern is miniscule so
is the tuning of this such that this it isn't so big an issue?   But surely
with the orpharion tuned with lute intervals one would encounter the problem I
outlined above.

  Grateful for your views.

  regards,

  Martyn

Peter Forrester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Dear Alexander and All,

Alexander's discovery of so many ET positions apparent in the fret
measurements accompanying the museum plan of the Palmer orpharion has
prompted me to produce a drawing which perhaps better illustrates the
meantone nature of the fingerboard. I also possess another drawing of the
fingerboard made at least thirty years ago which mostly agrees with the bass
side measurements, but not with the treble. Something is wrong. Is there
anybody out there who has another set please?

Meantone fretting implies different sized spaces between frets for chromatic
and diatonic semitones. The pattern which lutenists playing renaissance
lutes with a 'g' tuning use, is, from the nut: large, small, large, small,
large, small, large, large, small, large, small, large. The 12th fret is at
the same position for ET and meantone fretting of course, the 5th and 7th
frets especially, are very close to the same positions, others vary. These
spacings are very much more apparent on a drawing than as a series of
numbers.

Other considerations are the possible incorporation of 'just' fret positions
- these seem to be present in Rose's Helmingham instrument; that equal
temperament was known, even if not used; that it is very easy to 'bend' a
wire note into tune, especially further up the fingerboard.

The drawing shows side-by-side and reduced to the same overall length for
the octave, fret positions for ET, 1/6th comma, treble and bass (marked M)
from the published plan, treble and bass from the earlier drawing (marked
A), 1/6th comma, ET. As the cittern net will not permit attachments I will
have to ask that anyone who wishes should email me personally so that I can
attach the drawing by reply. While experimenting (as a non-literate
internet user) by sending myself copies, I produced attachments at both 72
and 300 dpi, so if you have a preference.... both work.

Best wishes,

Peter