   From: Martyn Hodgson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Sent: Tue 9/23/2008 4:15 AM
   To: Monica Hall; Joshua Horn; Fred
   Cc: Vihuelalist
   Subject: [VIHUELA] Lineage of early Guitars and the mandora

   There is indeed speculation (first put forward in 1979) that the
   mandora's 6 strings and tuning inspired the addition of an extra course
   to the 5 course 'baroque' guitar.
   Regrettably there is no unequivocal evidence that this was the case;
   merely indirect, such as the unusual tuning for the 6th string
   (mirroring a common mandora tuning pattern) in Scheidler's early
   sonatas for 6 string guitar.
   MH