To: "Monica Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:53 AM
Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: The Learned Guitarist...

I don't know for sure - anything is, of course, possible but that by no means implies it was the usual practice ad I think we need to be very careful of making such assumptions.

For example, pieces for the lute with the name de Visee do indeed survive, but the suggestion has been made that these are arrangements of his theorbo works made by the Ms compiler (eg de Saizeny). Certainly they exhibit few idiomatic Dm lute features (as, say, the works of his contemporaries Logy, Mouton, Gallot, Bittner, Von Radolt, et al) and are closer in texture to the arrangements made by St Luc.

In short, I'm not at all sure it's right to assume that the Old Ones played a range of plucked instruments as we try to do today. I know of no evidence, for example, that the most illustrious one, Corbetta, played the lute or even the theorbo.

Martyn