Well - as you say - we have been over this innumerable times before.

First and foremost I would say that - as far as we know - campanellas have
nothing to do with the method of stringing one might chose to use.
Everyone just misunderstands what Sanz says about this.   He doesn't say
that re-entrant stringing is preferable because it eliminates octave
doubling or skips of a 7th or a 9th in the melodic line.   He is concerned
with purely practical matters - it is difficult to stop two strings of
unequal thickness when playing ornaments and campanellas.....etc.

I would add to that - there are problems with tuning and fretting with octave stringing especially at the higher frets which is another reason why re-entrant tunings may have been preferred.

If you actually trying playing the music with the guitar strung throughout with plain gut I think you will find that this is so. It is certainly my experience. Why else does everyone use nylgut?

There seems to be this idea that all the music is specifically intended for one method of string rather than another and somehow by analysing the music we can prove what this is and make it conform to what we believe are "the rules of musical theory".

Personally I don't think that is the case. Whichever method of stringing you use, the music won't conform to the "rules of musical theory". There is no reason why it should and no evidence that the "ancients" as Martin calls them were concerned about such matters! What people invariably overlook when analysing the music is that the octave stringing will result in lower parts being duplicated in the upper octave all the time - not just in campanellas. They will often overlap with notes on the upper courses so that the melodic line and voice leading are different from what you imagine just looking at the music on paper. This is very apparent when you follow the tablature.

Really you have a situation rather similar to that with music for the cittern. Some of the music may reflect the fact that it has a re-entrant tuning, and some may not, but this doesn't alter the fact that it invariably has a re-entrant tuning for practical reasons.

So rather than being a "mysterianist" - I personally think that re-entrant tunings were preferred for most solo music simply because they worked best in practice and that octave stringing on the 4th course but not the 5th is a suitable compromise. There is no reason to think that this was "new" in 1671 and no reason why Corbetta should not have been used it throughout the whole of his career - and Granata too.

As far as the Gallot ms. is concerned I think that octave stringing on the 4th course only is probably what Gallot himself would have used - for the same reason.

As I am fond of saying - you are really looking for gold at the end of the rainbow. And also I think that by trying to iron out all the "idiosyncracies" you are actually destroying the unique quality of the music. If players in the 17th century were really concerned about these things they would have intabulated the music differently.

I hope that doesn't set the cat amongst the pigeons yet again!

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stuart Walsh" <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>