Ooops! - me too
   --- On Mon, 11/5/09, hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk
   <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

     From: hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Haendel - Cantata Spagnuola
     To: "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
     Date: Monday, 11 May, 2009, 2:59 PM

   1. We (ie you and I) do not know if Chrysander did reproduce the
   original notation: my guess is (like I think yours is) that he has. The
   issue is not this but 2 below.

   2. The point about seeing the original is, as already said, to see
   wether any other piece in the MS has no instrument name for a top
   obligatto instrumental line. If all such pieces are so identified in
   the MS then we move a step closer to being able to say that the top
   line is for guitar; if not then a step further away.

   3. As mentioned in my first response, the duplicated bass line would be
   for the guitar - not that uncommon to find two v similar ( or even
   identical) bass lines in a MS.  Indeed the suggestion that it might be
   for theorbo (but why this and not, say organ or harp? - two rather more
   Spanish instruments) also overlooks the two similar bass lines.  But as
   said, this isn't a problem.

   Martyn