Thanks, Stuart. I've heard quite a bit of music like that, and enjoy
   improvising it as well. I'm sure you are right in that similar things
   were done on the vihuela. I imagine all those examples from Ortiz could
   be adapted too. I've played vihuela with a viol consort, and although I
   could be heard, it was a struggle. A plectrum is one of the simplest
   amplification systems on the market, and worth exploring. There doesn't
   seem much point doubling what all the viols are doing. Improvising
   variations to vocal lines would be more enjoyable, although initially
   daunting, maybe.

   Rob