Chad actually did make mention of a possible origin.  I bought it on eBay
many years ago where it was listed as "mandolin-guitar thing" or similar.
Much of its construction and its original case implies East Germany, ca.
late 1960s-mid 1980s.  Chad speculates the original may have been by Hans
Jordan or an emulator.  There really is very little left of the original
now.

Best,
Eugene