To: "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 12:01 PM
Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] guitar arrangement

Monica Hall wrote:
V. Nice - but I hope you weren't travelling on Eurostar - or were the visuals taken from a car?.
A car - as slow as I could drive. Shooting in to the sun with some vague idea of abstract 'landscape-iness' - then the camcorder went and focused itself! Oh well...

Like the re-entrant tuning too. How about making the tab available. Are you playing the melody on alternate strings?

Yes. Here's RT's opening statement of the melody set for Renaissance lute and, underneath, my attempt at as setting with the melody in campanella:

http://www.pluckedturkeys.co.uk/ZG.jpg

As usual, a better player on a better instrument would probably make the campanella sound out more clearly. On reflection I don't think I've seen campanellas in this sort of context. Are they usually used in flowery fast moving sections?

There are many, many alternatives and possibilities with campanella. I spent quite some time on this short setting of RT's, but God knows how long Dominic took with his version of the Bach chaconne!! (in his 'Roman' re-entrant tuning...)

I managed to access the Gallot pieces this time too - but what are the folio numbers?

No idea. I'm playing from a print-off almost as old as the MS itself - from the days when microfilm printers printed on some sort of metal-based paper (silver nitrate?). The Gallot MS is really frustrating because the MS is (very portrait) and the microfilm photos were taken in landscape format. Anyway, here is what the page looks like:

http://www.pluckedturkeys.co.uk/Gallot.jpg

I find it really hard to get any tone out of my guitar above fret h. Sometimes, ligados on the top string, higher up, are virtually inaudible. But maybe it's just me.

(I don't have any programs for - and don't know how to do - either tab or standard music notation)

All the best for 2010
Monica

And to you and all.

Stuart