I have scanned although unfortunately it is not very clear. If you enlarge it the red strings look white and the black ones grey.

It is at  www.earlyguitar.ning.com

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "jelmaa" <jel...@gmail.com>
To: "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2010 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: Foscarini: Capriccio

Hello Monica

I'd be interested to see that picture!

Thanks & greetings from Amsterdam,

Jelma van Amersfoort

On Jul 3, 2010, at 5:05 PM, Monica Hall wrote:

Very nice - Stuart.  What about the second half now?

Fosco's Passacalles and Ciaconas work really well. It's interesting that he is the first person to have included a series of these things in different keys - although not a complete cycle. Also they are sort of longer re-working of some of the pieces in Book 3.

On another topic altogether I wonder how many people have seen the latest number of Hispanica Lyra - the journal of the Spanish vihuela society.

It has a very interesting reproduction of an angel playing the vihuela. The instrument appears to have 7 single strings (probably meant to be double). Three of these are red and four black. The angel is playing left handed, probably to balence the picture. He/She is on the left hand side of the Virgin and Child. In the description it is suggested that the red strings are the treble ones and the black ones the bass but I think it may be the other way round. It is just the angel who is left-handed, not the instrument.

I could scan it to my ning page if anyone is interested.

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stuart Walsh" <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>