[I tried to send this message 6 times. If you
   received them all, sorry]

   Hello.
   I re-subscribed to this list, to react on some remarks about my Youtube
   clips.
   Indeed they are unedited, and that should explain why one or two twangy
   bass
   notes, so aptly noted by Monica, are there. I thought they could be
   forgiven, considering the playing noises we normally hear on live
   recordings
   on the baroque guitar.
   On my last three CD's with the baroque guitar (Marin songs, the
   Corbetta
   suites and the 'Canta Venetia' disk) I used Gut bourdons (Larson). For
   practical reasons I now use nylguts, which I think work quite well.
   It seems right to be grounded on the g of the third course for (al
   least
   part of) the works of Sanz. But I happen to believe that for a number
   of
   Italian composers, including Bartolotti, we better have bourdons. In
   the
   wonderful polyphony of the courante or the gigue it would be almost
   impossible to leave the high strings of the fourth and fifth courses
   out.
   Perhaps I'll try next time :~). As a result of individual listening
   habits
   some people seem to perceive the bass notes in the high octave, while
   for
   other listeners the lower notes of the bourdons clearly have the 'upper
   hand'. This is one of the many idiosyncasies of the repertoire.
   My approach has nothing to do with having a background in Classical
   Guitar,
   and it seems trivial to make an accusation like that. Perhaps I should
   bring
   in mind my work on the vihuela, as I have never heard anyone complain
   about
   a guitaristic approach, when performing that repertoire.
   If (if?) there were bourdons then we should probably better learn how
   to use
   them properly, and get used to the idea that in certain works the five
   course guitar was used in another way than we often hear it today. The
   whole
   preconceived idea that the baroque guitar should be 'totally different'
   from
   any other instrument (be it the lute or the classical guitar) seems to
   prevent proper judgement. Of course we should respect the
   idiosyncrasies of
   the instrument, but who can tell exactly how they were handled in the
   17th
   century?
   There are no 'skips of 7th's etc.' in the campanela sections, and
   therefore
   nothing was eliminated. They do audibly ring on and overlap, as seems
   to be
   the whole idea (....).
   Playing campanelas including little sound from the bourdons is merely a
   matter of how you imagine these melodic lines. The technique follows
   the
   musical concept, so to speak. To me they should fit into the musical
   discourse in the first place, even if some virtousity is implied. It is
   not
   so much editing out anything, but being a bit orderly in the outline of
   one's performance. Excessive ornamentation, super-intricate (folk-rock)
   strumming and the display of lightspeed in campanelas are hallmarks of
   fashionable modern image of the baroque guitar, for which at least
   there
   seems to be little historic evidence.
   Lex