I think that the statement by Pisador to tune the 4th course to match
it's pair is scanty evidence to place a generalization that all
vihuelas+ were tuned in unison.  We simply do not have that answer.

There is evidence however, on the E.0748 vihuela now in Paris (also
known as the Chambure vihuela), and that vihuela, at least at one
time, was strung in octaves on courses 4,5, and 6.  Dan Larson made
some interesting observations, in which he made a high resolution
digital photo of the bridge.  When he put to image on a screen, quite
enlarged, it was obvious that the grooves in the slots on the treble
side of the slots, that they were thin, deep grooves, as opposed to
fat grooves, indicating a thinner string (i.e., octave string) was
used at some time.  So, it is quite probably that at least one
vihuela player used octave stringing at 4,5, and 6th courses.

ed

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street
Duluth, Minnesota  55812