This is a bit complicated to explain. When there are what appear to be single notes with strum marks it is not always clear whether they should be included in the chord or whether they should be played as single notes - assuming that this is actually practical. There are also places where it is obvious that the "single" note can't be included in the chord and even that it shouldn't be but there are still stroke marks.

It depends a bit whether you regard the notation as representing the music in the same way as staff notation or whether you regard it as an indication for what the right hand should do.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk> To: "Lex Eisenhardt" <eisenha...@planet.nl>; "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 8:17 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: stringing and performance

  Dear Monica,

  I'm really not sure you're right when you say below  'And while we are
  on the subject please note that you can't strum a single note - that is
  a contradicition in terms.   They may put a strum mark under a single
  note but it is still a single note.'

   In many cases I think the expectation is that one strums at least part
  of the chord and so keeps up the underlying harmony EVEN THOUGH the
  single note is dissonant.  Foscarini is a good example of this.

  as ever,

  Martyn