     From: Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Stefano Landi
     To: "Lex Eisenhardt" <eisenha...@planet.nl>
     Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Monday, 15 November, 2010, 8:32

   >   We don't know which tuning predominated in the circles around
   Landi,
   >   for example.
   Well - we have some ideas.   One of his contemporaries in Rome was
   Kapsberger, and it was from Kapsberger that Mersenne obtained his
   information about how the guitar was strung - i.e. with a fully
   re-entrant
   tuning.   Kapsberger published two books of guitar music now lost.
   Valdambrini's first book was printed in Rome seven years after Landi
   died
   (1646).   He not only gives instructions for re-entrant tuning but
   clearly
   states that the instrument has no basses.
   Kircher gives the re-entrant tuning in Musurgia Universalis printed in
   Rome
   1650.
   And of course rather later Sanz also says that guitarists in Rome used
   the
   re-entrant tuning.
   Just straws in the wind..............
   From our XXIc position it is difficult to know exactly who
   >   used what tuning, or which composer was exposed to one way of
   tuning or
   >   the other. If one way of stringing is very usual among your friends
   or
   >   in your town there would be no reason to say anything about it.
   Therein lies the problem.   If none of us can be certain a position of
   relativity is inevitable.   The relativity is ours rather than theirs.
   >   It supposes that in the 17th century 'they' had a sort of
   relativism,
   >   with respect to the tuning and theoretical issues. The first
   attempts
   >   of Focarini and Corbetta from around 1640, to apply the figures and
   >   voice-leading of basso continuo on the guitar, give a different
   >   picture.
   In what way?   Even if this was so in what way is it relevant to what
   players did earlier?