Hello all,

I have recently joined this list and it is great.  I am gearing up to build my
first baroque guitar and am getting more and more excited by the day waiting
for the plan (Ashmolean 1642 Rene Voboam). I have built instruments before so I
am no stranger to working with wood (and a friend of mine is a luthier so I
should be able to get some of my questions fielded).

Two questions, however, that seem to elude me concern frets and strings.  Do I
need to gauge my frets as I move up the neck? Or can I just use a fixed gauge
of gut/nylon/etc?

The other is a more performance oriented question. What stringing/tuning scheme
would you suggest for a beginner? I seem go be most drawn to the Spanish music,
but am a complete beginner on the guitar, and I'm also afraid the Spanish
tuning will limit what I can play (I'd like to experiment with new/modern music
as well). What tuning/stringing do you prefer and why?

Any advice on building, fretting, tuning, and the playing of the baroque guitar
would be most helpful.

Thanks!
Harlan