The other reason for the disposition of the pair, and one which I think
 is more significant, is that the string struck first with the thumb
 tends to predominate.  So that on the lute, where a more procrustean
 adherence to the rules of counterpoint/voice leading might have been
 expected, it is the bass (the lower) of the octave pair which
 predominates whereas on the guitar with its peculiar tuning, the upper
 of the pair tends to be heard primarily thus allowing an ambiguity
 which can deceive the ear.

Would it have been the aim to deceive the ear?
Ambiguity, yes. But no doubt it can be heard (and played) as belonging to the lower voice.

  I'm really not convinced about selecting which octave of a pair to
  pluck, not so much that it can't be done - it clearly can - though with
  trouble if the passage is rapid,   but on the basis that there seems to
  be no evidence that this was early practice.

That would only matter if we would try to completely eliminate the unwanted note. Selecting just one of the two strings is perhaps not what it was all about.

Lex