Dear Monica,

   Yes - I suspect it's a misprint. C below the bass clef is quite low
   enough for gut strings of such modest length.

   I also don't think it right to call it an arch-cittern: Jordan probably
   called it a lute (she is described playing 'the lute' in contemporary
   reports as Peter's paper points out). The instrument depicted is
   similar to the large number of these extant theorboed type of
   instruments which were invented (especially in France, as well as
   England) during the final decades of the 18th century and continued
   into the first few of the 19th primarily for Drawing Room use.  Many of
   these have the same basic characteristics: single strings, strings of
   gut, typically 7 fingered strings - as Jordan's, varying nos of basses
   from 4 to 14 eg see Baines Nos 326, 332, 334. Baines calls them by
   various names including arch-guitar and harp guitar.  And, of course,
   by around 1800 the whole thing had degenerated into things like the
   Harp-lute-guitar (most famously in England associated with Light and
   Ventura - but other makers cashed in on the fad).

   Baines thinks the early instruments (say 1770 1800) were tuned like the
   English guitar with first six strings in a chord (of C) and this makes
   sense, but I also think we tend to underestimate the importance of
   these sort of instruments in continental, especially pre-revolutionary
   French (and Flanders), culture and they might have also tuned the
   highest courses in a chord but at a lower nominal pitch (say in A like
   the contemporary French cistre which, of course did have metal strings
   and double strings to each course and many also had free bases see
   Baines again).

   I think by c 1800 in France (and England) more of these were being
   tuned like the newly popular guitar and, indeed, much music says it is
   for lute or guitar.  I think the best modern name for them is
   lute-guitar combining the early notion of 'antick' instruments and the
   modern style of play in a guitar fashion. For the latter see the
   example of 'The Blue Bells of Scotland' which employs simple and
   typical guitar arpeggios for a piece labelled as for 'GUITAR or LUTE'.

   By chance I had a communication only yesterday with someone else on the
   same sort of subject which is why, I guess,  I'm writing at length. One
   thing is clear: it took someone quite outside the lute and guitar world
   to look at these instruments with a fresh eye - a good area for a post
   grad paper with v little competition.

   A later instrument, often called the 'bass guitar' is not really the
   same at all (tho superficially similar and thus a good candidate to
   confuse museum curators) since it developed from the 6 string guitar in
   the 1820s through works of people like Mertz, Coste, Dubez et

   Finally can you spot anything about Dorothy Jordan from the painting? -
   she is painted with her mouth closed ( as so many people were
   historically). I suspect this might be because she had few upper teeth
   - see her upper lip line.......  but she was not alone....

   rgds

   Martyn