On 18/02/2011 11:52, Monica Hall wrote:
    Those of you who belong to the Lute Society will have received the
    latest number of Lute News. (Apologies to those of you who aren't
    members).   This has a reproduction of the portrait of the actress
    Dorothy Jordan playing an arch-cittern - which looks a bit
    like an English guitar with additional diapasons.   There is a
    commentary by Peter Holman.

It's not an arch-cittern, which would typically have four pairs of wire strings at the top and descending single basses. As the article says, 'lutes' were around at the time and would mean indicate something tuned to a major chord. There were 'lutes', harp-lutes (not to be confused with later harp-lutes!), harp-lute-guitars, but now with single gut strings, not wire. Some instruments were tuned to an E flat major chord, but the music is written in C.

    The other question is about the music on p.7.   I'm assuming that both
    parts are supposed to be played on a single instrument.   If so the
    notes on the lower stave will occasionally overlap with those on the
    upper stave.  Are we supposed to read the lower stave an octave lower?

This looks exactly like a song arranged for TWO instruments - two English guitars (guittars) or equivalents And at the same pitch). The music for these later instruments with extra basses around 1800, or the music I've seen, is very simple and uses some of the simplest music originally arranged for the English guitar, now out of fashion.

Stuart

    Hope I have made myself clear.