   From: Stuart Walsh <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
   To: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   Cc: Vihuelalist <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Mon, April 11, 2011 4:59:06 PM
   Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: a little Granata experiment
   On 11/04/2011 09:01, Martyn Hodgson wrote:

   >    Regarding the held notes at the conclusion of each half, I think
   this
   >    suggests that these pieces were in fact conceived primarily for
   >    performance with the outer bowed instruments mentioned in the
   title -
   >    so that there would be no need to perpetuate the sound over a full
   (or
   >    large part of) long bar by such devices.
   Although bowed instruments seem to be indicated by the title page
   ("violino e viola"), the bass line is lightly figured. Maybe the
   violist would have added some harmonies. Many of the allemandas have
   these long empty bars at the end of each half. Even bowed, or on
   another sustaining instrument, they could sound as is musical activity
   has temporarily ceased! So plucked instrument strums and/or  twiddles
   (as you suggest Falconieri did) is maybe what is in order.
   It's interesting that Granata does some 'octave-hopping' in the guitar
   part  - but nothing to do with the tuning.  For example, in the E minor
   Corrente (p.22), bar 4-5. The passage begins with the note b (open
   string, second course). In the violin part the the note b goes down to
   g and then up a scale, g,a,b,c#, d, e. But the guitar part begins on b,
   then jumps up an octave for the g, a, and b then jumps back down to c#,
   d and e. In the final two bars of the first section the violin part
   goes from a high g (first course, third fret of guitar) down to b, a
   and g but the guitar part goes from the high g down to b and back up an
   octave for the a and g.
   Probably this is to make the instrument project a bit more - especially
   if there is a violin playing. But maybe it also shows an attitude of
   mind about melodic lines on the Baroque guitar. (As Monica has often
   insisted upon!)
   Stuart
   >  In short, I suggest they were
   >    indeed expected to be played as a trio for the best effect.
   >
   >    Martyn
   >
   >    On 4/7/2011 3:36 PM, "Stuart Walsh"<[1][1]s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
   wrote:
   >    >Granata's Novi Capricci Armonici Musicali in vari toni per la
   chitarra
   >    >spagnola, violino and viola concertati et altra sonate per
   chitarra
   >    sola
   >    >1674 has pieces for solo guitar and, at the beginning, 12 pieces
   with
   >    >guitar part on the left hand side and then in staff notation
   (treble
   >    and
   >    >lightly figured bass) on the right.
   >    >
   >    >This publication has been discussed before but , as usual, I
   can't
   >    >remember the details and don't want to plumb the archives. Gary
   Boyes

   [5]http://uk.mc263.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=s.wa...@ntlworld.com
   [6]http://www.library.appstate.edu/music/guitar/1674granata.html