Dear Lex,

   Just because the bass lines are simple does not require that they were
   necessarily composed on the guitar as I think you are now suggesting.

   And what may seem to us to be simple 'folk' harmonies may have been
   precisely the effect they were aiming at - even when not a guitar
   player.  Indeed, as I've already pointed out, we need to be careful
   before assuming that 'simple' songs means untutored tunes.

   Now to turn to solo villanelle and the like you mention: are you now
   suggesting that the melodies of these were generally created by someone
   hearing a chord sequence and then inventing a melody to fit it. As
   pointed out, said such a practice is clearly common with grounds but
   what's the evidence that it was general practice for most light songs
   such as those of Marini. A more believable hypothesis is that the tunes
   were invented and harmonies and even alfabeto added later as I've
   already explained.

   Finally, what's the significance of the 'point of view of a theorbo
   player'? - I thought you played both theorbo and guitar as I do

   regards but slightly puzzled........

   Martyn