Dear Monica,

   O death, where is thy sting?....

   These emails, between Lex, you and me are increasingly suffering from
   failure to read (or to digest) exactly what is being said: I don't
   blame anyone of us in particular.

   Most recently you have written that I said something when I thought I'd
   gone out of the way to say quite the opposite!  I precisely did not
   say, vis a vis the example of Granata's harmony, that it was the same
   as Marini's (as you've now taken it!): merely that it was a similar
   type of passing dissonance that was used at the time. Indeed, I
   particularly wanted to give a similar but not identical example of such
   harmony to illustrate the more widespread use of such. This is what I
   actually  wrote: 'we ought not to think such passing dissonances are so
   very unusual and there are, of course, numerous other short
   harmonic sequences which provide similar effects which the Old Ones
   (especially in this period) seemed to like' - I then went on to give
   this new example.

   And yes, yet again, I would hold (repeat if necessary) the Fmaj chord
   over the passing dissonant g in the bass to then resolve through the 43
   cadence.

   Sigh......

   nevertheless, kind regards

   yrs thfo