Dear list
   Monica's discussion of Corbetta's Italian preface has drawn my
   attention to
   the Italian word 'anche', which she has left out.
   I would translate: 'Take care to put a thin octave string [i.e.
   bourdon] on
   the second string [i.e. fourth course] which is D sol re, because the
   two in
   unison do not make the harmony which ALSO my sonatas require.'
   (Averti di mettere una piciol ottava alla seconda corda que e D sol re
   perche li dui unissoni non fanno armonia, come _anche_ le mie sonate lo
   ricercano.)
   I would like to speculate on what Corbetta could have meant with this.
   It seems possible that he is referring to the music of other composers,
   for which an octave D is required. It gives the impression that he is
   referring to a similar advice, given somewhere else, of which he
   supposes
   that the reader could be familiar with. We should keep in mind that
   much of
   what he writes in his preface is directed to a certain circle of
   readers,
   as he speaks of the 'Professori here in Paris.'
   Could this other book be Carre's 'Livre de Guitarre' from 1671?
   As Monica has pointed out in het preface to the facsimile edition of
   this
   book, the privilege for printing, the "Extrait Du Privilege Du Roy", is
   dated 18th February 1671. It is not known when it was actually printed,
   but
   Monica argues that this could have been after November 1671, when the
   marriage of the dedicatee of the book, Princess Elizabeth Charlotte,
   and
   Louis XIV's younger brother, Philippe, Duc d'Orleans, took place.
   From that moment on Elizabeth Charlotte would have had the title
   'Madame',
   and, significantly, the dedication on the title page of Carre's book is
   'Son Altesse Serenissime _Madame_ La Princesse Palatine.'
   We should, however, consider that at the time that the privilege was
   given (18 February 1671) she was Princesse Palatine but not yet
   'Madame'.
   This demonstrates that privileges were given for hand written
   documents,
   which were perhaps not exactly identical with the later prints.
   Besides, the
   process of engraving and printing was very time-consuming and it will
   have
   taken place in the months after February, and details could be changed
   during that period. And the printing could of course have been done
   before the

   wedding.
   Corbetta's privilege to publish La Guitarre royalle (1671) was dated
   21st
   September, 1670 (so, earlier than Carre's) but it was not printed until
   October 1671.
   As Monica has observed, there may have been animosity between the two
   men,
   and perhaps indeed over plagiarism. The title page says: 'Livre de
   guitarre
   contenant plusieurs pieces composees et mise au jour par le Sieur de la
   Grange.'
   But how could Corbetta accuse Carre of plagiarism, had he not known
   the actual contents of this book?
   It is in the Livre de guitarre where we find Carre's advice 'fault
   mettre a
   la guitare une octave au quatriesme.'
   It appears from his Italian preface that Corbetta considered himself as
   superior to all guitarists from Paris, saying: 'Molti professori di
   chitarra, in particolare qui in Parigi, n'hanno tenuto il secondo loco
   dopo
   di me, confessato da loro medesimi.' (many guitar teachers, especially
   here in
   Paris, do not even deserve the second spot after me, as they themselves
   confessed)
   In her new article Monica writes: 'If Corbetta always used octave
   stringing
   on both the fourth and fifth courses himself, and thought that this was
   the
   arrangement most suitable for his music there is no reason why he
   should
   not have said so. People who acquired copies of his book presumably
   would have
   wanted to play the music in the way he thought best, whatever method of
   stringing they may have used previously. Adding a bourdon to the fifth
   course is no more difficult than adding one to the fourth-provided that
   suitable strings are available.'
   To begin with the last subject, we can conclude that bourdon strings
   were at
   that time considered suitable for basso continuo, so why not for solo
   repertoire.
   Even if Corbetta is very condescending about most other players, he
   must
   have realized that they were the potential customers for his book.
   Adding an octave to the fifth course is not difficult, but there could
   have
   been other reasons for reluctance. Guitarists do not always act
   completely
   rational.
   As I have argued in my article in The Lute 47, Corbetta's reference to
   the octave D could have been a compromise to those who were used to
   re-entrant tuning.
   Lex