   From: Lex Eisenhardt <eisenha...@planet.nl>
   To: vl <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>; Martyn Hodgson
   <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   Sent: Sunday, December 4, 2011 4:34 AM
   Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: hand plucking position (wasGuitar bridges)
   Hi Martyn,
   >  I agree with Chris:  thumb-out does not inhibite playing through
   both
   >  strings of a double course.
   It makes it more difficult to go deeper into the low octave string than
   the high octave. What I said is that if thumb and fingers are close (at
   adjacent courses) there is the difficulty of both going deep into the
   course. If the thumb should go deep, to play a good bass, the fingers
   can easily miss the second string of the course. That is something
   Chris also seemed to conclude. In this respect thumb-in is is
   different.
   >  Neither need (or should)  the thumb and finger ends meet using
   >  thumb-out as you suppose: the thumb is slightly forward of the
   fingers.
   >  Probably the best historic representation of this from around the
   time
   >  (second half 17thC) is Charles Mouton's hand position (on a lute) in
   >  the well known painting and engraving.
   You mean the de Troy painting? What would Mouton have done when the
   thumb and fingers had to play adjacent courses?
   Lex