To: "Lex Eisenhardt" <eisenha...@planet.nl>
Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:24 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Caccini's instrument {was Re: Strumming as basso continuo {was: Return to earlier question: {was: Agazzari guitar [was Re: Capona?]}

  Thanks Lex,

  Caccini can speak for himself:  'the chitarrone is better suited to
  accompany the voice, especially the tenor, than any other
  instrument'.(G. Caccini, Le Nuove Musiche (Florence, 1602), sig. C2V
  'Ai Lettori  ... del Chitarrone ... essendo questo strumento piu atto
  ad accompagnare la voce, e particolarmente quella del Tenore, che
  qualunque altro.')

  Further, Piccinini(1623) tells us Caccini used a chitarrone  to
  accompany himself before 1594.

  The chitarrone did not, of course, at first have numerous long extended
  basses. However it was tuned in a nominal A or G so, as previously
  pointed out, the same problem would arise even if tuned in G with a
  sung d and f# in the bass.

  I suspect Striggio was using the term lute in a generic sense:  it is
  certainly not 'wrong' to use any form of lute from around this time to
  perform his songs. See Rob Dowland Var of lute lessons for example and
  Ms 704  Bib Con Brussels which contains intabulated settings of songs
  by Caccini and his contemporaries.

  regards

  Martyn

  PS Also see my recent message about email protocol, with which you may