From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On
Behalf Of Monica Hall
Sent: 18 December 2011 12:37
To: Chris Despopoulos
Cc: Vihuelalist
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Strumming as basso continuo {was: Return to
earlier question: {was: Agazzari guitar [was Re: Capona?]}

>   Monica, you're absolutely right that by definition it's not
continuous
>   bass when playing derived harmonies in the alfabeto.  I was only
>   supposing that the harmonies are derived from the bass, and informed
by
>   practice of bajo continuo.  In that sense, it's a realization of
>   something, at any rate.

In theory the harmonies - at least in the printed books - are derived
from
the bass line but they are not informed by the practice of bajo
continuo.
In many cases whoever added the alfabeto has simply added these on the
assumption that the note in the bass part is the root of the chord
without
taking into account the voice part which clearly indicates that a 6/3
chord
is necessary rather than a 5/3.  In some instances they add major chords

when there should be minor ones.  And they also ignore the basic rule -
that
when the bass rises a semitone - mi-fa -  the note on mi should be a
6/3.
Usually 4-3 suspensions are ignored.

And following on what I've read by Craig
>   Russell, it's possible to imagine that the guitar, limits, quirks,
and
>   all, contributed to the development of harmonic thinking in this
way.

I think it contributed in a different way.   Guitarists themselves -
rather
than the editors who added the alfabeto to printed books - were aware
that
chords were derived from major and minor triads and the notes in the
triad
could be played in any order.  They were also more aware of major and
minor
modality.

Regards

>   From: Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
circumstances.
>   Monica
BC
>   >  line has a low G# 6 (ie on bottom line of bass clef). If G
natural
>   is
>   >  also frequently required in the piece (as often found) then on
>   >  a theorbo in A (with 6 fingered courses as most usual
historically)
>   >  there is no low G# and the player is obliged to take the bass an
>   octave
>   >  higher - ie top space of the bass clef and thus higher than the
>   >  singer's note. The situation is much the same where the tenor has
>   >  and the theorbo BC is obliged to take a f# in the bass.
>   >  Other types of specific examples include Caccini's 'Reggami per
>   pieta'
>   >  where the singer has a low F# which has to be played by the BC an
>   >  octave higher since there are necessary low F naturals elsewhere
in
>   the
>   >  piece.
>   >
>   >  Chromatic notes are solved in the same way: by putting odd notes
(or
>   >  even an entire passage) up an octave - see Ballard 'Methode pour
>   >  apprendre.... theorbe' (1660) page 10 especially which gives
>   examples
>   >  in staff notation and in tablature showing the necessary octave
>   >  transposition for chromatic notes.
>   >
>   >  rgds
>   >
>   >  Martyn
>   >
>   >
>   >  --- On Sat, 17/12/11, Lex Eisenhardt <[4]eisenha...@planet.nl>
>   wrote:
>   >
>   >    From: Lex Eisenhardt <[5]eisenha...@planet.nl>
>   >    Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: Strumming as basso continuo {was:
>   Return
>   >    to earlier question: {was: Agazzari guitar [was Re: Capona?]}
>   >    To: "Monica Hall" <[6]mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>, "Martyn Hodgson"
>   >    <[7]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
>   >    Cc: "Vihuelalist" <[8]vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
>   >    Date: Saturday, 17 December, 2011, 8:58
>   >
>   >  Dear Martyn,
>   >  Is there evidence for raising the bass on the theorbo, to even
above
>   >  the
>   >  other voices? I understand that chromatic notes in the bass can
be a
>   >  problem, but do we know how they solved that?
>   >  Lex
>   >  ps could you please stop sending the whole thread of the
discussion
>   >  together
>   >  with your newest posts?
differs