To: "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>; "Martyn Hodgson"
<hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>; "Lex Eisenhardt"
<eisenha...@planet.nl>
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2011 11:17 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Strumming as basso continuo {was: Return to earlier
question: {was: Agazzari guitar [was Re: Capona?]}

  I personally don't want to argue this point.  First because I'm not
  qualified, and secondly because it's not really what I was saying.
  Monica, you're absolutely right that by definition it's not continuous
  bass when playing derived harmonies in the alfabeto.  I was only
  supposing that the harmonies are derived from the bass, and informed by
  practice of bajo continuo.  In that sense, it's a realization of
  something, at any rate.  And following on what I've read by Craig
  Russell, it's possible to imagine that the guitar, limits, quirks, and
  all, contributed to the development of harmonic thinking in this way.