     From: Azalais <azal...@gmail.com>
     Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Early romantic guitaRe: string height
     To: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Date: Saturday, 20 April, 2013, 19:46

   It varies by instrument.  On some I have gut frets and on some metal,
   and the lengths vary from 480mm to an archlute!   One of the lowest is
   a lightly tensioned vihuela, and on that one there is about 3mm
   clearance between the top of the gut fret and the bottom of the string.
   (I have more trouble with double courses hitting each other and have
   had to re-drill bridges to increase string to string widths, when I
   wanted to use low tension twisted basses.)
   I have several mid-length vihuelas and baroque guitars  (shorter than
   650mm) that can be tuned to E or G...  At E (aA5) a few of them do
   rattle occasionally  but that vanishes when I have them tuned to G with
   a bit more tension.
   On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Martyn Hodgson