The wikipedia reference has no useful content; I'd delete it.

I think vikslippymapsource.c probably does not support arbitrary TMS
(meaning parsing the metadata and coping), but instead supports the
common profile of how maps are available on the web.

It would be great if there is a web reference to how osm and others do
something other than what the TMS spec says.

http://www.gdal.org/frmt_wms.html
http://www.gdal.org/frmt_wms_openstreetmap_tms.xml

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Setting_up_TMS