Guilhem Bonnefille <guilhem.bonnefi...@gmail.com> writes:

> IMHO, the current cache in viking serves two distinct roles:
> - a cache like any web browser has (in order to keep files locally for
> the session);
> - a local tilecache to allow cross session caching but also *offline* reading.

Agreed; these are the two standard uses of caches.

From this discussion I still don't see why we want this cache to be
anything but per-user.

> <dreaming>
> As many other project uses a local *tilecache* (tangogps,
> nerongps...), perhaps can we imagine a future project, offering such
> services in a DBus manner.
> </dreaming>

I would go the other way, and say that the right answer is an actual
tilecache that can be set up with zero hassle and then viking would
point to it and skip all this caching stuff.

But maybe there should be a way to do an rpc to it "do you have tile x,
and what's the pathname" to avoid turning it into/outof a web fetch.