Nick Allen <nick.allen...@gmail.com> writes:

> All my tracks, hiking, car & cycle, are 1 second interval, & I
> frequently deal with multiple tracks created during the course of a
> days cycling or walking.
>
> The majority of my tracks are created by a Garmin Oregon 300. When I

That's basically what I do, with Oregon 450 or Etrex Vista HCx.

> Load the tracks (generally using file / append) my laptop screen dims

But, what I do is

  viking gpx.viking track.gpx waypoint.gpx

and start each time.  I don't try to have a huge viking file with all of
my tracks.

Are you loading many tracks, and then trying to figure out which ones
are ok to form a track to upload?  If you could quantify what causes
trouble that would help.

I also map in osm (user gdt), but I just draw in josm with a track in
the background.  (Most of the ways I draw for which there isn't good
imagery are in the woods, and being off 5m is totally unimportant
compared to having the geometry/connectivity and rough position right.)
I then look at later trips with viking, and if I see something that
needs mapping/fixing, I load that trace in josm.   (I don't upload gpx
tracks at all.)

> & everything freezes for several seconds, but always recovers. If
> there are several tracks with many waypoints the programme may become

I am not sure what's going on here.   But I think that the issue is that
viking makes lots of requests to X, and the X server spends lots of CPU
time fulfilling them.   And viking may be triggering memory leaks in X
(but I have no evidence for that).

When it is slow, does top/etc. show that viking or X is using all the
cpu time, or something else, or ?

> slower but still functions. However, I need to save the file at an
> early stage, and then keep saving at regular intervals as I edit the
> tracks, combining them, removing duplicates, and uploading them to OSM
> etc. If I don't regularly save the whole laptop will freeze and not
> recover, necessitating holding the power button for a few seconds to
> switch it off, and then starting again. I don't have evidence of this,

In theory viking cannot cause this.  In practice I bet there is a kernel
or X bug that is being triggered by viking.  Does your computer have
problems with anything else?  It almost sounds like it could be a weak
power supply.

I use NetBSD, with an old graphics card (Intel 845 motherboard from
2006).  I find that redrawing the viking window seems to be very slow,
but I have not had any real computer/X instability issues.  Tons of
people use viking on ubuntu, it seems, so your issue is likely more
localized.

> but creating a track/route seems to use even more resources, so my
> laptop may crash more often - again frequent saving stops this.
>
> It may be that a feature that regularly saves to disk at 2 minute
> intervals would alleviate this?

Sure, but only if saving only happens if the user asks for this somehow.
I don't want to edit in viking - just examine mostly - but that's me.

> I hasten to add, this is not a complaint - you asked, so I'm
> answering. I'm a long term fan of viking & recommend it to friends. I
> also think that Ubuntu may be partially to blame here, as the
> performance of the laptops seems to have reduced over the last 2
> versions of Ubuntu. It's difficult for me to say if other programmes
> can cause similar effects, but I do know that 'Evolution' the PIM
> programme is resource heavy and can slow my system causing similar
> problems. I think the problems partially depend on the other
> programmes running - Thunderbird causes less problems than Evolution,
> Chromium causes less problems than Firefox.

Thanks for speaking up - I would say that while there's a non-viking
bug, it seems pretty clear that viking uses more resources than people
would like.

> My computer is a laptop, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz  with
> 4GB of ram, running Ubuntu 11.10 (can also boot into windows 7, where
> there is a version of Viking as well, but I rarely do this & don't
> know if a similar problem exists). My laptop currently uses Viking
> 1.2.1 from the ubuntu repository, but I have used other versions
> loaded from git with the same results. I also make use of other
> laptops of various specs. & other versions of viking with similar
> results.

That's a resaonably beefy machine.  Mine is a single-core 3.4 GHz
(desktop mobo) with  2G of ram.

> I'm quite happy to try different versions, but you may have to keep
> the instructions simple as I'm definitely a user as opposed to a
> programmer!

I have been struggling to find spare time to hack on things - but
perhaps I will get to adding logging about start/stop redraw times in
the track/waypoint layer.