Yes I was incorrectly reading the SHA for the commits in the output from gitg
(since it shows parent SHA too)

So gnome-autogen.sh was doing something useful after all, copying or linking:
gnome-doc-utils.make
gtk-doc.make
omf.make
xmldocs.make

It seems the latest gnome-common (3.10) in Debian has fixed the previous dodgy
automake version checking.

I suggest reverting back to the old autogen.sh script which uses
gnome-autogen.sh script.