I'm also using JOSM heavily when contributing to OSM, and I'm trying to
  save on bandwidth by trying to share the imagery cache between them.

  I've already submitted the changes to JOSM's tracker, so that it simply
  creates a directory hierarchy in the classical on-disk tile format
  (Z/X/Y.png). JOSM adds some additional (useless) files into it, but
  that's about it.

I think sharing caches is a good idea.  I am guessing viking is a
relatively minor player in this area (but perhaps not).  So the idea of
letting JOSM be the defacto standard seems sensible.

  This way I can just symlink the directories between the two programs,
  which is a true boon.

One could even have viking look in the josm default area, and save to it
if possible, as default behavior.

  No user-visible changes, except that the old cache won't be used due to
  the name change.

I'm not sure that matters all that much.  But we could also make the new
behavior be:

  look in josm cache using new format
  look in viking cache in old format

  when saving new files, save in josm cache in new format

and that would provide a soft transition without a lot of code.