Yuri D'Elia <wav...@thregr.org> writes:

> I'd like any of the developers to read this draft about a common shared
> cache that I'd like to implement in JOSM:
>
> https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/SharedTileCache

Generally this seems sensible.  A few comments:

There should be a way to configure the max size used by the cache, or
maybe the min free space in the fs, or both.

There's an "OSM", but really this isn't about OSM.  It's about TMS.
Bing isn't about OSM (even though they graciously let us edit based on
it).

So I'd use "TMS" rather than "osm/tiles".

I think zoom/x/y is good.  I really don't like the way viking does it
now, which I can never easily remember.

A conversion program to read an old cache and move it to the new format
would be nice.  But for me not a big deal

A big issue is caching lifetime, in terms of when to recheck the server
vs just accessing without checking.  Your description of "minimum tile
age" seems to be this, but really the question is:

  what's the parameter that says "if the difference between now and the
  time this tile was last verified to be valid is < X, then just use it".

  what is the mod date on the tile file?
    - Origin server's generation timestamp (I like this)?
    - When Fetched the first?
    - When validated?

  when a tile is old enough to check, and the origin server says it's
  unmodified, how is this recorded?  Is there a second file?  In the
  .ini for the tile?  sqlite?

Your point about storing view count (and last view time) is a good one.
Probably LRU pruning would be good, maybe in a background process.

I don't mean to sound negative - my comments are pretty minor.