Hi,

I'm not a user of the Windows version of viking. But, as far as I
know, Windows users are generally less skilled than Linux ones (mostly
because unskilled users use the operating system already installed in
their computer). I fear that such user will not understand why viking
is not working after installation.

Can we package an old but already packaged version of gpsbabel?

I'm not familiar with the installer used to package viking for
Windows. If it's not too difficult, I would suggest to still package
gpsbabel within our package, plus an option to disable this component.
Doing so, Windows users will be able to install any version of
gpsbabel they want, but an unskilled user will have a functionnal
version of viking without any effort.

Am'I out of topic?

> Presently GPSBabel 1.4.4 is packaged with Viking for Windows.
>
> I plan to remove GPSBabel from Viking's windows packaging, so the
> responsibility will be with the user to install it separately.
> I have code to enable the user to specify an alternate GPSBabel's runtime
> location.
> By default Viking will attempt to use the normal locations for GPSBabel's
> Windows install, so user's shouldn't need to do anything.
>
> GPSBabel 1.5 onwards uses Qt libraries internally so the DLL dependencies has
> changed.
> It's not overly difficult to continue to distribute this version with Viking,
> but I believe that should be the responsibility of the user.
>
> If there are no reasoned objections to this, I will upload the code and this
> will be how Viking 1.6 will be packaged for Windows.
>
> NB: Being able to specify the location of GPSBabel may also make any MacOS
> usage easier too.
>

> Be Seeing You - Rob.
> If at first you don't succeed,
> then skydiving isn't for you.